Find a Legal Document Professional Near You ~ 800-515-0496

Summary Administration
Probate for small estates

Many Floridians don't realize that a family member or other interested person is allowed to settle an estate. It is a myth that an attorney must be involved in every estate. If an estate is small enough to qualify for the Summary Administration of Estate process; or is even smaller and qualifies for Disposition without Administration a family member or personal representative may be able to handle the paperwork pro se.

FALDP logo

It is common for someone to pass away owning property in Florida, such as a second home or timeshare. Their primary estate may have already been settled in their home state, but the family then discovers that in order to sell or use the property in Florida they must go through probate in Florida. In our current depressed real estate market many second homes are valued well under $75,000. which allows an estate to be probated through Summary Administration of Estate.

Is there a will? Is the will self-proved?

If the decedent left a proper will or if there is no will but there is a surviving spouse, the paperwork is fairly straightforward. It is important to determine early on whether the will, if there is a will, was properly made – is self-proving. In Florida there is a separate document that is required, and nowadays is usually created at the same time as was the will, called a Self-Proving Affidavit. This affidavit is usually attached to the will at the time of signing and they are kept together until needed. The Self-Proving Affidavit verifies the validity of the will, and the identity of the witnesses.

Summary Administration of Estate

Summary Administration of Estate is generally available only if the value of the entire estate is valued at less than $75,000; and if the decedent’s debts are paid. The summary administration process is also available if the decedent passed away more than two years prior to filing the Petition for Summary Administration.

Florida Statute 735.203 


(1) A petition for summary administration may be filed by any beneficiary or person nominated as personal representative in the decedent’s will offered for probate. The petition must be signed and verified by the surviving spouse, if any, and any beneficiaries except that the joinder in a petition for summary administration is not required of a beneficiary who will receive a full distributive share under the proposed distribution. However, formal notice of the petition must be served on a beneficiary not joining in the petition.

Disposition Without Administration

An alternative to the summary administration process is "Disposition Without Administration." To use this process, the value of the estate may not exceed the total of $6,000 in funeral expenses; and the amount of all reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses incurred in the last 60 days of the decedent’s final illness.

The purpose of this process is only to reimburse family members for out of pocket expenses, such as medical bills or funeral expenses. For example, if someone dies and leaves behind a bank account with $6000. in it, and had prepaid for all their own medical and funeral expenses, this process will not allow a family member to access the funds in the bank.

For document preparation assistance for Summary Administration of Estate please visit our Document Preparation Services page. Or call: 800-515-0496.


Post your comments to any of the questions posed on this page.

Enter a Title for Your Comment

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from others...

Pro Se Probate in Florida? 
My mother just passed away last month. She left a house appraised for less than she owes on the reverse mortgage but for more than $75,000. She has a …

Order of Summary Administration 
The manager at the bank told me I need to get and Order of Summary Administration so that I can access my late husband's bank account. How do I get that …

I am the appointed rep (executier) of my father's will. He passed two months ago on Jan 15 2012. He own a piece of land in Sarasota County which is only …

Intestate Deceased  
My spouse of ten years died recently. This has left me having to pay for all the bills myself and all of the money we had was in his bank account. He …

Order of Summary Administration??? 
I live in Brevard County and my uncle died and left his estate and other possessions in his will to people but he owed out a lot of money in debts. The …

Summary Administration Form 
My mom died, and her condo was worth around fifty thousand dollars and I need to file something called a summary administration and I cant find it. Can …

My aunt died without a will. 
Before my aunt died she told me that there was money in her bank account, but she never said how much. The family has already paid for her funeral expenses. …

Can I represent my mother's estate? 
Hi, I'm just trying to find out some information. People and websites seem to say different things about this. Can I represent my mother's estate? She …

representing a estate case as a personal represenitive -pro se 
Can a personal representative of estate as pro se file and prosecute for benefit of case. Judge said no. Yet, I have seen Florida cases that a personal …

Summary Admininstration Order 
My aunt passed away last August, and I've been trying to settle her estate. She did not leave much behind, she was 93 years old. She left a will naming …

Order of Summary Administration 
Where can I find the order of summary administration form for Florida? Can I download the order of summary administration form for Florida?

Pro Se for Estate? 
What are pro se laws in Florida?   What is the definition of pro se in Florida? I want to settle my mother's estate, do I have hire an attorney? The court …

How can I get a summary administration? 
My father died in Florida. He left about $3,000 in his bank account. That is his ONLY estate. I have his will. I am the executor and the only legatee. …

Order of Summary Administration Form 
I have an uncle who just died in Pasco County & left a small investment account with no beneficiary. I have been told by the Company holding the investment …

Click here to write your own.

Document Preparer Resources


Have a question about the forms or how to file them? Do you need assistance? We can help. Call
Document PreparationServices

Are you a Florida Legal Document Preparer? Learn how you can become part of Florida's thriving legal document preparers community.Call 800-515-0496 or 941-237-0951
Join Today

Search For a Legal Document Preparer By County
FALDP Directory
Alachua County
Baker County
Bay County
Bradford County
Brevard County
Broward County
Calhoun County
Charlotte County
Citrus County
Clay County
Collier County
Columbia County
Miami-Dade County
De Soto County
Dixie County
Duval County
Escambia County
Flagler County
Franklin County
Gadsden County
Gilchrist County
Glades County
Gulf County
Hamilton County
Hardee County
Hendry County
Hernando County
Highlands County
Hillsborough County
Holmes County
Indian River County
Jackson County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Lee County
Leon County
Levy County
Liberty County
Madison County
Manatee County
Marion County
Martin County
Monroe County
Nassau County
Okaloosa County
Okeechobee County
Orange County
Osceola County
Palm Beach County
Pasco County
Pinellas County
Polk County
Putnam County
St. Johns County
St. Lucie County
Santa Rosa County
Sarasota County
Seminole County
Sumter County
Suwannee County
Taylor County
Union County
Volusia County
Wakulla County
Walton County
Washington County

Work From Home

Work From Home With SBI!

Visit Our Book Store

Current Self Help Titles
Modifying Child Support

Family Adoptions

Family Adoptions - Second Edition 2011

You've Been Sued!

keep scrolling arrow

Keep Scrolling! There's more.