The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496

Ex Husband Filed Motion For Contempt And Enforcement. His Lawyers had What He Lied about

by Serena
(Palm Harbor, FL)

What do I do to stop a motion for contempt that never should have been filed as his lawyers had an executed quit claim on file for 5 years.

My ex was required to refinance the marital home back in 2010 within 60 days of the final decree. He never did thus causing severe harm to my future that I could not rebuild credit wise, own a car, I have no transportation, as the full amount of said house took up my score.

5 Plus years later, last week, he filed a Motion For Contempt against me. I provided said deed over 5 years ago.
He implicated himself in the motion, proving lies under oath. He did get to continue with refinancing as of today 09/23/15.

Do I have any rights when it comes to this false allegation and also for the damage that this has caused me. I have not been able to rebuild my life and am in poor health.
Can Divorce decrees be re visited due to severe change of circumstances?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Comments for Ex Husband Filed Motion For Contempt And Enforcement. His Lawyers had What He Lied about

Click here to add your own comments

Answer to Motion for Contempt
by: Judi Law

I'm not an attorney, and this is not legal advice. The way to revisit a divorce decree is through a Motion for Contempt/ Enforcement as your ex husband did. It doesn't seem likely that you could now hold him responsible for damages for his failure to refinance after all these years. And, unfortunately, and especially, because you didn't file a Motion for Contempt / Enforcement against him for failing to refinance within 60 days. The Court may take the attitude that you "sat" on your rights, waiting five years to hold him responsible. My suggestion is that you consult with an attorney to see if there is anything you can do.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.