The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496

Ex Moving out of state with my children

by Joyce
(Florida )

My ex and I were married and divorced in Polk County. We had two kids who he got custody of for the simple fact I made a decision to move out of Polk County. So without family support I did that and the judge stated that because I had no family in Pasco that the kids will stay with their Dad. Now he is stating that he is wanting to move to Ohio with his girlfriend. The kids have no family in Ohio at all. Its all her family. What do I do in the paperwork? We have it that neither of us can travel out of state with the kids unless there was a 30 day notice to the other parent. Please help 'cause all of their family is here in Florida. They have a baby brother here, and I don't want them to move out of state.

Comments for Ex Moving out of state with my children

Click here to add your own comments

Petition for Relocation with Minor Child(ren)
by: Ruth Tick

He can't just send you a notice and go. Unless you consent, in writing, he is supposed to file a Petition for Relocation with Minor Child(ren). And unless he has a very good reason, his petition may well be denied. Generally, the best reason, is a bona fide job offer from a company in another state. And, a Long Distance/ Relocation Parenting Plan should immediately be put in place so that the children have access to both parents.

For more information and to find the forms for this process, go to:

And if you need help with document preparation, call 800-515-0496

Moving or vacationing?
by: Crystina

There is a difference between moving out of state and vacationing out of state. You mention that neither party may travel without 30 days notice. Is there a provision for relocation?
If not, he is required to file motions to relocate if he is moving the children more than 50 miles from the venue and 50 miles from you.

Also, Florida does not generally allow sole custody, but residential. Which does he have?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.