The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496

Stepparent adult adoption

by Jd
(Okaloosa county, Florida)

I'm am 29 years old and I am currently trying to help my stepdad with the paperwork for him to adopt me. He has been the only father I've known and my mother passed away 2 years ago. We have all of the needed documents as well as the consent forms from myself and my spouse. The only thing hindering this is my biological father will not respond to signing over his parental rights. What can I do at this point ?

Comments for Stepparent adult adoption

Click here to add your own comments

Parent's consent to adult adoption
by: Ruth Tick

Your biological father needs to be sent formal notice of the adoption, but does not need to consent. Have him served with the paperwork by a sheriff or private process server and file the Notice of Service with the court.

The instructions for the Florida Supreme Court Form for Adult Stepparent Adoption Form 12.981(c)(1) list the following two forms as required consent forms. The instructions do not include a consent form from a biological parent. You are an adult, therefore you do not need your father's consent.

Stepparent Adoption: Consent of Adoptee;
Stepparent Adoption: Consent of Adult Adoptee

I am not an attorney, and do not provide legal advice. The information in this response is readily available online, if you know where to look. If you would like help with document preparation, please contact me at 941-237-0951 or visit my site at

Ruth Tick

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.