The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496


by Samantha

My son is 5 months and his dad has not seen him or anything. We broke up right before I found out I was pregnant, and he was already dating someone else. They are not engaged and getting married. I haven't spoken to my son's father in months. It was confirmed with DNA through the state that he is the father. When going to court for child support in the state of Florida, will they establish visitation? Or will court for visitation have to be separate?

Comments for Visitation

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support/ Visitation
by: Ruth Tick

In Florida child support and child visitation are two separate issues and processes. To establish child support contact the Florida Department of Revenue Child Support Division (DOR) and they will help you initiate child support. This is an administrative proceeding. The Magistrate or Hearing Master does not have authority to rule on child visitation or custody -- only child support.

I am not an attorney and do not provide legal advice. The information provided in this response is readily available online, if you know where to look. If you would like help preparing documents, please contact me at 941-237-0951 or visit my site

Ruth Tick

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.