The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers ~ legal document preparation services.


Divorcing an illegal resident

by Louise
(St. Pete, FL)

I'm married, but my husband is in this country illegally. I want a divorce and live in the state of Florida. Can I file for a divorce even if my husband is not a legal resident?

Comments for Divorcing an illegal resident

Click here to add your own comments

Divorcing an illegal resident
by: Lorna

I'm not an attorney, but this is my understanding. Family court has no jurisdiction over anything to do with immigration. The fact that your soon to be ex is in this country illegally, does not prevent you from divorcing him. Go through the process just as you normally would. File the petition for dissolution that best fits your situation, along with accompanying documents, and then have him served. I

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.

Copyright 2010-2019. All rights reserved.