The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496

Procedure or Form Required to notify court of termination of counsel

by Barbara

The six plaintiffs that are party to a complaint are dissatisfied with the legal services provided to date by our group's attorney. Further, our attorney was in an accident in November & has still not recovered. Our suit has been dragging out since June, 2016, and the accident has further delayed the legal process.
Accordingly, at least two, and possibly more, of the plaintiffs wish to represent themselves. The judge's legal assistant has indicated that each plaintiff has the right to make separate representation decisions, including the choice of a different attorney or pro se representation (if the plaintiff is an individual.
I am looking for an example of the filing(s) necessary to make such a change in representation, along with the notification procedure to the attorneys affected.
Is this something that would be available in the Westlaw or Shephard's databases mentioned in connection with Florida law libraries? Please point me in the right direction.

Note: Our complaint has been filed in the Circuit Court of the First Judicial District of Florida. However, 5 of the 6 plaintiffs live in states other than Florida, and are trying to perform as much online research as possible.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.