The Florida Association of Legal Document Preparers

Click to Call for Mobile Users - 800-515-0496

retroactive child support

I have filed a petition for joint custody they are ordering me to pay $550 a month for child support and $11.000 for retro. I have 3 other children that need my help financially plus rent. How can i stop this?

Comments for retroactive child support

Click here to add your own comments

Retroactive child support
by: FALDP Staff

First, unless there was a court order for child support, the courts cannot order you to pay retroactive more than 24 months in the past. Second, the courts are supposed to consider other children when ordering and enforcing child support. Both parties should have filed Family Law Financial Affidavits, and then a Child Support Guidelines Worksheet can be prepared. These forms and other family law forms are available on the Florida Supreme Court's site -

An FALDP member may be able to help you prepare your documents. Please call 800-515-0496 for assistance and/ or a referral to a member document preparer near you.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.