Comments for Am I being Legal????

Click here to add your own comments

Yes and no
by: Florida Nonlawyers, Inc.

You can represent people in certain administrative proceedings including Social Security cases but generally no is the answer.

"You can choose an attorney or other qualified individual to represent you. You also can have more than one representative. However, you cannot have someone who has been suspended or disqualified from representing others before the Social Security Administration or who may not, by law, act as a representative.

Some organizations can help you find a representative or give you free legal services if you qualify. Some representatives do not charge unless you receive benefits. Your Social Security office has a list of organizations that can help you find a representative.

You can appoint one or more people in a firm, corporation or other organization as your representatives, but you may not appoint the firm, corporation or organization itself.

After you choose a representative,you must tell us in writing as soon as possible. To do this, get Form SSA-1696-U4, Appointment of Representative, Get Accessible Adobe Acrobat Reader from our website at www.socialsecurity.gov or from any Social Security office.

You must give the name of the individual you are appointing and sign your name. If the individual is not an attorney, he or she also must sign the form.

What your representative may charge you:

To charge you a fee for services, your representative first must file either a fee agreement or a fee petition with us."
source: Soc Sec Admin

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.

Return to Am I being Legal????.

Copyright 2010-2023. All rights reserved.