Comments for Custody

Click here to add your own comments

The Rules are Similar Throughout the State
by: Judy L.

Dear Anonymous,
The rules surrounding child custody are similar throughout the state. The entire state is governed by Florida Statutes, but a few of the circuits have local rules and slightly different forms. In any circuit, the first piece of necessary information to answer your question is to find out whether there is an existing child custody order now. If there is an existing order, then most likely you would file a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Custody, Time-Sharing, and Related Relief, and attach a Parenting Plan, and other associated documents.

If there is not an existing order, you may need to file a Petition to Determine Paternity and Related Relief; a Parenting Plan; and associated documents. This set of forms is like a divorce, but for people who were never married and have a child together.

These forms and others can be found, and downloaded for free on the Florida Supreme Court's site - www.flcourts.org.

Or call 800-515-0496, and we'll match you up with a local document preparer who can help you.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.

Return to Custody.

Copyright 2010-2020. All rights reserved.