Comments for Desperately seeking direction in filing for custody in Florida

Click here to add your own comments

Parenting Plan/ Child Custody
by: Ruth Tick

In general minors have the right to have relationships with both parents, unless there are certain circumstances present. The circumstances that could prevent a parent having contact with a child include domestic violence, child neglect or abuse, and criminal activity.

Also, in general, when parents are unwed child custody is with the mother. Unless paternity has been established through the family court. A Petition to Determine Custody and Related Relief is filed which ultimately names the father as the legal father with full paternal rights and responsibilities. Until that process is completed, the mother, technically, retains child custody.

My suggestion is to file a Petition to Determine Paternity and Related Relief and attach a proposed Parenting Plan. This process is similar to a divorce for people who were never married, but have a child together. The Parenting Plan is a schedule of child timeshareing/ custody/ visitation that can be enforced through the courts.

As far as your having threatened suicide several years ago, you may need to undergo a psychological evaluation at some point to show that you are no longer suicidal.

A 15 year old's wishes as to which parent she wants to be with may be considered by the court, however the wishes of a 7 year old probably would not be considered.

My response is NOT legal advice. This is information which is readily available online, if you know where to look.

If you would like assistance with document preparation, please contact me directly at 941-237-0951 or visit my site www.for-the-people-of-Florida.com

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Members.

Return to Desperately seeking direction in filing for custody in Florida.

Copyright 2010-2020. All rights reserved.